- S. Makonin, Real-Time Embedded Low-Frequency Load Disaggregation. PhD thesis, Simon Fraser University, School of Computing Science, Aug 2014.
- S. Makonin, I. V. Bajic, and F. Popowich, “Efficient Sparse Matrix Processing for Nonintrusive Load Monitoring (NILM),” in 2nd International Workshop on Non-Intrusive Load Monitoring, 2014.
- S. Makonin, L. Guzman Flores, R. Gill, R. A. Clapp, L. Bartram, and B. Gill, “A Consumer Bill of Rights for Energy Conservation,” in International Humanitarian Technology Conference (IHTC), 2014 IEEE Canada, 2014.
- R. Filsoof, A. Bodine, B. Gill, S. Makonin, and R. Nicholson, “Transmitting Patient Vitals Over a Reliable ZigBee Mesh Network,” in International Humanitarian Technology Conference (IHTC), 2014 IEEE Canada, 2014.
- S. Makonin, “Nonintrusive Load Monitoring (NILM): What an algorithm can tell you about your energy consumption,” in Poster Session at IEEE Vancouver Section Annual General Meeting, 2014.
- S. Makonin, W. Sung, R. Dela Cruz, B. Yarrow, B. Gill, F. Popowich, and I. V. Bajic, “Inspiring energy conservation through open source metering hardware and embedded real-time load disaggregation,” in Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), 5th IEEE PES, 2013.
- S. Makonin, F. Popowich, L. Bartram, B. Gill, and I. V. Bajic, “AMPds: A Public Dataset for Load Disaggregation and Eco-Feedback Research,” in Electrical Power and Energy Conference (EPEC), 2013 IEEE, 2013.
- S. Makonin, F. Popowich, T. Moon, and B. Gill, “Inspiring Energy Conservation Through Open Source Power Monitoring and In-Home Display,” in 2013 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2013.
- S. Makonin, F. Popowich, and B. Gill, “The Cognitive Power Meter: Looking Beyond the Smart Meter,” in Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), 2013 26th IEEE Canadian Conference on, 2013.
- S. Makonin, L. Bartram, and F. Popowich, “A Smarter Smart Home: Case Studies of Ambient Intelligence,” Pervasive Computing, IEEE, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 58–66, 2013.
- S. Makonin, “Approaches to Non-Intrusive Load Monitoring (NILM) in the Home,” PhD Depth Report, Simon Fraser University, School of Computing Science, Oct 2012.
- S. Makonin, M. Kashani, and L. Bartram, “The Affect of Lifestyle Factors on Eco-Visualization Design,“ in Computer Graphics International (CGI), 2012.
- S. Makonin and F. Popowich, “Home Occupancy Agent: Occupancy and Sleep Detection,” GSTF Journal on Computing, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 182–186, 2012.
- S. Makonin, P. Pasquier, and L. Bartram, “Elements of Consumption: an abstract visualization of household consumption,” in Smart Graphics, vol. 6815 of LNSC, pp. 194–198, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.
- S. Makonin and F. Popowich, “An intelligent agent for determining home occupancy using power monitors and light sensors,” in Toward Useful Services for Elderly and People with Disabilities, vol. 6719 of LNCS, pp. 236–240, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.